fontset for emacs-w3m

Today I've installed emacs-w3m, and it does work -- having
www-browser in emacs has been my dream of old.  Generally it works
fine, except for one point: its rendering of the Russian letters is
ugly.

I have GNU Emacs 21.3.2 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, X toolkit),
emacs-w3m-1.3.6 and w3m-0.4.1-stable-m17n-20030308; I use a Unicode
font based on that by Markus Kuhn.

Now, the problem is that I want all the scripts I use to be rendered
with one same Unicode font (and have the unity of design and size).
To this end I've put in my .emacs :

,----
|     (set-fontset-font
|      "fontset-startup"
|      (cons (make-char 'cyrillic-iso8859-5 160)
| 	   (make-char 'cyrillic-iso8859-5 255))
|      '(nil . "ISO10646-1"))
|     (set-fontset-font
|      "fontset-startup"
|      (cons (make-char 'latin-iso8859-2 160)
| 	   (make-char 'latin-iso8859-2 255))
|      '(nil . "ISO10646-1"))
`----

and in fact, I really see the Russian and Latin-2 characters rendered
in the Unicode font (without the above set-fontset-font I had a
mixture of fonts for the scripts concerned).  I works in all buffers,
it works in Gnus -- but it does not work in emacs-w3m :( There I still
have the unpleasant mess, when some Russian letters are involved.

Another problem which is possibly related to the above-mentioned one
is the treatment of smart quotes, dashes etc.  E.g. on the page
http://www.uni-leipzig.de/esperanto/voko/revo/art/absolv.html
the paired 99--66 quotes (e.g. around the word ,,plenumi``) apprear as
intended in the console version of w3m-m17n, and are wrong in emacs.
OTOH I can see them in a utf-8 text buffer.

So, is there a way to make emacs-w3m use a utf-8 fontset?

--
Sergei