Re: emacs-w3m not rendering webpages

Hi,

>>>>> In [emacs-w3m : No.06361]
>>>>>	asubedi <asubedi@DEPAUW.EDU> wrote:

> I have installed emacs-w3m.

What is the version of emacs-w3m you've installed?  1.3.80 or
1.3.6?  You are using Emacs 21, not XEmacs, aren't you?

> I start w3m by using M-x w3m and ask it to go to some url
> (http://www.google.com). It retrieves the page but does not render
> it.  It finishes by saying Fontifying...Done.

If you are using emacs-w3m 1.3.6 and XEmacs 21.5, it won't work
for almost web pages because of the XEmacs bug, simply shows an
empty buffer.  Anyhow, I personally recommend you not to use
XEmacs 21.5 since there are a lot of bugs, although emacs-w3m
1.3.80 fixes some of them.

If you aren't using them, did you see any error message?  It can
be found in the "*Messages*" buffer.  You can also use
`(setq debug-on-errot t)' for clarifying a bug.

> When I change the content type to text/plain, it shows the html
> source. I use Gentoo GNU/Linux. I have w3m working fine in my
> terminal. I do not know why this is not working. I am completely
> baffled by this.

> Thanks,
> asubedi

We cannot help you only by the information that emacs-w3m
doesn't work.  The easiest way to see how do you use emacs-w3m
is to type the `C-c C-b' key (or `M-x report-emacs-w3m-bug') in
the emacs-w3m buffer.  It may also be useful to send the
settings for emacs-w3m in your .emacs file.
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>