Re: display html patch

Hi,

>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:04:37 +0200
>> hsh@freecode.dk (Henrik S. Hansen) said as follows:

>This is a patch to properly display some otherwise non-displayable
>HTML character entities on the console (and in X with no matching
>fonts) -- by default they are displayed as ~ (tilde).

Thanks.

>* Why is w3m-ucs-to-char defined both in w3m.el and other files (like
> w3m-e21.el)?

The reason is that emacsen is all different in its unicode supporting
level.

For example, because Emacs20 does not support Unicode by itself,
w3m-ucs-to-char(), a dummy function defined in w3m.el, is used when
using Emacs20 without Mule-UCS.  When you use Emacs20 with Mule-UCS
and `w3m-use-mule-ucs' is not equal to nil, w3m-ucs-to-char() defined
in w3m-ucs.el is used instead of a dummy function.

Emacs21 partially supports Unicode (unfortunately, its implementation
level is not sufficient for Japanese users' requirements), so
w3m-ucs-to-char() defined in w3m-e21.el is used when using Emacs21
without Mule-UCS.  When you use Emacs21 with Mule-UCS and
`w3m-use-mule-ucs' is not equal to nil, w3m-ucs-to-char() defined in
w3m-ucs.el is still used instead of one defined in w3m-e21.el.

>* Why are non-displayable characters displayed as ~ (tilde) on an
>emacs with mule-ucs, and ? (question mark) on an emacs without
>mule-ucs?

I cannot imagine the cause of your trouble.  Could you check whether
the expression,

   (ucs-to-char codepoint),

returns an integer or nil, when using Emacs21 with Mule-UCS?  And
more, could you check whether Unicode fonts are available or not?

> (I suspect this has something to do with decode-char in
> w3m-ucs-to-char in w3m-e21.el, which seems to return nil with any
> character argument with mule-ucs, but return integers without).

When using Mule-UCS, w3m-ucs-to-char() defined in w3m-ucs.el should be
used instead of one defined in w3m-e21.el.

--
TSUCHIYA Masatoshi