Re: ;;; sb-fau.el --- Freie ArbeiterInnen Union shimbun backend

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:29:31 +0900 Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> I think the best solution is to fetch the raw contents and to decode
>> them by itself.  The patch is below.  Although it cannot help
>> Emacsen in which `windows-1252' is not supported, it is better than
>> do nothing.  WDYT?
>
> I'm sorry not to have waited for your reply.  I've installed the
> patch with a slight modification.  We can still fix it even if I
> made a mistake.  Comments?

Now i understand why i never had problems:

  (standard-display-ascii ?\225 [?\⋅])
  (standard-display-ascii ?\204 [?\„])
  (standard-display-ascii ?\223 [?\‟])
  (standard-display-ascii ?\224 [?\”])
  (standard-display-ascii ?\222 [?\'])
  (standard-display-ascii ?\226 [?\–])
  (standard-display-ascii ?\227 [?\—])
  (standard-display-ascii ?\205 [?\…])

It's a common mistake of fscked "latin-1" web servers to send a
wrong encoding (actually always these m$ crap).  It would be nice
to have a solution for normal web browsing to.

As far as i know these window-<foo> encodings are pretty close to
the latin-n encodings.  May it be possible to recode them within
the w3m package to similar latin-n characters, e.g ” -> " or ''?

David