ftp oddities

Hi altogether,

I just noticed that emacs-w3m's ftp implementation seems to be rather
odd. Since I'm behind a firewall, I use
(setq ange-ftp-try-passive-mode t)
However, as long as w3m-use-ange-ftp is nil, the following message
appears in the echo area when I go to ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/
Cannot retrieve URL: ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/ (exit status: 0)

Yet, the contents of the directory is listed correctly and I can
browse the ftp-server without any difficulties. Moreover, this message
doesn't appear in the *Messages* buffer where everything looks all
right at the first glance. A bit strange though that there is a line
saying
Trying passive mode ... failed.

Also, only messages referring to the first ftp-server I enter in a
single session seem to appear in *Messages*.
Maybe the last things I mentioned are actually related to
ange-ftp. The error message I cited in the beginning though is
definitely caused by emacs-w3m and should be dealt with.

Kind regards,

Elias

PS: Sorry, I almost forgot to mention:
GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (Debian)