w3m as renderer for html, like in emacs

Hi,

I'm searching for simple text html renderer to use it in my project. I'd
prefer to have some external program and communicate via pipes. I'm not
so good in lisp, and I cant understand looking on source, how emacs
communicate with w3m. I see that emacs call processes like

`/usr/local/bin/w3m -no-cookie -o follow_redirection=0 -o
user_agent="Emacs-w3m/1.4.356 w3m/0.5.2" -dump_extra
"http://www.gmane.com"`

But it return some web page and it work like simple wget! So, does emacs
render html or w3m do that? If w3m render html, can I ask "How its
work?"

--
 Olexandr