Re: how to install in one's $HOME directory?

jidanni@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I did
> $ wget -O emacs-w3m.tar.gz 'http://cvs.namazu.org/emacs-w3m.tar.gz?view=tar'
> and got as far as README
>      If you can't find the `configure' script, rus the `autoconf'
>                                                  ^n
> but make -n install says it wants to install it in /usr, but I want to
> install it under $HOME somewhere, and there are no official instructions
> in README (please add).

Use --prefix option to change directory to install.

like this:

./configure --prefix=$HOME/local --with-icondir=$HOME/local/icons

This would show you directories to install like this:

checking prefix for /usr/bin/emacs... /home/naota/local
checking where lisp files should go... $(datadir)/emacs/site-lisp/w3m/
checking where icon files should go... /home/naota/local/icons

Also ./configure --help would help.

Regards,