Re: `w3m-input-url' bug

On 2010-09-07 13:05 +0100, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
>> If a user calls w3m-input-url with INITIAL nil and DEFAULT non-nil, his
>> intention is pretty clear but w3m-input-url overrides it anyway. I think
>> this is a bug.
>
>> GNU Emacs actually prefers DEFAULT and considers INITIAL deprecated; see
>> doc string of completing-read (23.x).
>
> So what evil does it cause in emacs-w3m?

I wouldn't call it evil but it makes it difficult to customise the
behaviour. For example, when I call w3m-goto-url I often don't want to
edit the url suggested. I just want to go to a new one. So I would
prefer w3m-input-url sets a default url and leaves the initial input
empty. I can use a before advice to do that but then the prompt would
not show the default url.

Leo