Re: arrow width miscalculated causing truncation

In [emacs-w3m : No.11786] jidanni@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The following file renders bad in emacs-w3m, and also lynx.

This seems due to a typical "East Asian Ambiguous Character Width"
issue of Unicode.  I.e. probably w3m counts the string width of
an arrow as 1, whereas Emacs displays it in 2.  As for Emacs,
Handa-san said in the mule-ja list 3 years ago that Emacs decides
the width of those characters according to the locale value; maybe
European people see them in the width 1 in Emacs.  I don't know
the way to let w3m do like Emacs, though.  One workaround is to
use another universal encoding other than Unicode when communicating
with w3m:

(setq w3m-input-coding-system 'iso-2022-7bit-ss2
      w3m-output-coding-system 'iso-2022-7bit-ss2)