Re: w3m tab line constantly consumes CPU

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@xxxxxxx> writes:

> In [emacs-w3m : No.12201] Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> [...]
> > So, my guess is that removing
>
> >                    (run-at-time 0.1 nil
> > 		     (lambda (buffer)
> > 		       (when (buffer-live-p buffer)
> > 			 (with-current-buffer buffer
> > 			   (inline (w3m-force-window-update))
> > 			   (setq w3m-tab-timer nil))))
> > 		     current)
>
> > from `w3m-tab-line' would do nothing harmful but prevent successive
> > unnecessary redisplays.  A short test seems to confirm that.
>
> Oh, it sharp drops the CPU consumption!  And updating the header
> line works well as before (at least for Emacs 24.3.50).  But please
> let me know, what/how does renew the value of `w3m-tab-line-format'?

That is a very good question!  I oversaw that we still start with

  (or w3m-tab-line-format ...)

After thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that it can't work,
theoretically.  After I tried it again, I also came to the conclusion
that it doesn't work in practice ;-)  Dunno what we both tested...

Anyway, I think the patch is nonetheless a step in the right direction.
But we would also have to set `w3m-tab-line-format' to nil when the tab
line got out of sync - and this in all w3m buffers.  WDYT?

Regards,

Michael.