Re: M's meaning changed

In [emacs-w3m : No.12239] jidanni@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Still works OK in gnus, but not in emacs-w3m.

I see.  As for Gnus, you have this in your .gnus.el file:

(define-key gnus-article-mode-map [?M] 'browse-url-firefox); same key as w3m-view-url-with-external-browser

j> In the past, M on a URL opened it up in Firefox for me.
j> Now it opens it up in emacs-w3m.
j> http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/

This is because you have this on in your .emacs file:

(setq
 browse-url-save-file t
 browse-url-browser-function 'w3m-browse-url
 ...)

Try replacing `w3m-browse-url' with `browse-url-firefox', or simply
deleting the line.  Otherwise if you want browse-url to launch
emacs-w3m but want M to launch Firefox try this:

(defadvice w3m-view-url-with-browse-url (around use-Firefox-anyway activate)
  "Run Firefox no matter what `browse-url-browser-function' is."
  (let ((browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox)) ad-do-it))

The command bound to the M key has been changed to
`w3m-view-url-with-browse-url', that launches a browser that
browse-url specifies.

cf. <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.w3m/9072>