Re: Recent emacs build made w3m-search slow to load

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@xxxxxxx> writes:

> In [emacs-w3m:13574]
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 22:33:33 +0200, Tomas Nordin wrote:
>
>> (use-package w3m-search
>>   :config
>>   (add-to-list 'w3m-search-engine-alist
>>                '("duck" "https://duckduckgo.com/lite/?q=%s"))
>>   (setq w3m-search-default-engine "duck"))
>
> I don't know what the `use-package' does, but it would probably

Sorry, it is https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package and supposed to
help with startup times :).

> load w3m-search.elc that involves loading w3m.elc and others. It can't
> be helped that loading w3m.elc takes a certain amount of time, however
>
>> startup time is 1.8 seconds and if un-commenting it, it is 26.1 seconds.
>
> that's too long.  Does it take such a long time even if replacing
> that `use-package' form with this?
>
> (progn
>   (require 'w3m-search)
>   (add-to-list 'w3m-search-engine-alist
>                '("duck" "https://duckduckgo.com/lite/?q=%s"))
>   (setq w3m-search-default-engine "duck"))

Yes, still 26 seconds by doing only that change.

> Does just
>
> (require 'w3m)
>
> take over 20 seconds, too?

Yes, it does. I had a use-package equivalent for that but when changing
to require then it took more than 20 seconds.

I guess then it doesn't have to do with w3m-search specifically.

> w3m.elc has been byte-compiled of cource, hasn't it?

Yes. I mean, there are .elc versions of all .el files in the w3m
directory which I guess means they have been byte-compiled.

>> Emacs repository revision: 15ed1598b5e8aacea2825e6144cb3cce35101134
>
> Now I'm using Emacs of the revision 2912de1 and have no problem
> on the Core i5 note PC.  Hmm...

Ok, I wonder if I managed to compile just one unfortunate commit?
Probably not.

Best regards
--
Tomas