Problems installing emacs-w3m cont.

Further to my original message re my problems installing emacs-w3m.

I've tried as best I can to comply with the requests for details and I
appreciate any help given.

The result of C-h v tab-stop-list:

tab-stop-list is a variable defined in ‘indent.el’.
Its value is nil

  This variable is safe as a file local variable if its value
  satisfies the predicate ‘listp’.
  You can customize this variable.

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 24.4 of Emacs.
  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 22.1.

Documentation:
List of tab stop positions used by ‘tab-to-tab-stop’.
This should be nil, or a list of integers, ordered from smallest to
largest.
It implicitly extends to infinity through repetition of the last step.
For example, (1 2 5) is equivalent to (1 2 5 8 11 ...).  If the list has
fewer than 2 elements, ‘tab-width’ is used as the "last step".
A value of nil means a tab stop every ‘tab-width’ columns.

Lines from w3m-bookmark.el (I'm not sure if these are the lines asked
for:

(defcustom w3m-bookmark-menu-open-new-session nil
  "If non-nil, \"Bookmark\" menu item open new session."
  :group 'w3m
  :type 'boolean)

(eval-and-compile
  (defconst w3m-bookmark-section-delimiter
    "<!--End of section (do not delete this comment)-->\n"))

(eval-and-compile
  (defconst w3m-bookmark-section-format
    (eval-when-compile
      (concat "<h2>%s</h2>\n<ul>\n"
	w3m-bookmark-section-delimiter
	"</ul>\n"))))

(defconst w3m-bookmark-initial-format
  (eval-when-compile
      "<body>\n<h1>Bookmarks</h1>\n"
      w3m-bookmark-section-format
      "</body>\n</html>\n")))

(defvar w3m-bookmark-section-history nil)
(defvar w3m-bookmark-title-history nil)

Lines from w3m-cookie.el (again, not sure these are the correct lines):

;;; Cookie accessor.
(defmacro w3m-cookie-url (cookie)
  "Return the url of COOKIE."
  `(aref ,cookie 0))
(defmacro w3m-cookie-domain (cookie)
  "Return the domain of COOKIE."
  `(aref ,cookie 1))
(defmacro w3m-cookie-secure (cookie)
  "Return whether COOKIE is secure."
  `(aref ,cookie 2))
(defmacro w3m-cookie-name (cookie)
  "Return the name of COOKIE."
  `(aref ,cookie 3))
(defmacro w3m-cookie-value (cookie)
  "Return the value of COOKIE."
  `(aref ,cookie 4))
(defmacro w3m-cookie-path (cookie)
  "Return the relative file path of COOKIE."
  `(aref ,cookie 5))
(defmacro w3m-cookie-version (cookie)
  "Return a version information of COOKIE."
  `(aref ,cookie 6))
(defmacro w3m-cookie-expires (cookie)
  "Return when COOKIE will expire."
  `(aref ,cookie 7))
(defmacro w3m-cookie-ignore (cookie)
  "Return t if COOKIE is marked to be ignored by emacs-w3m."
  `(aref ,cookie 8))

Results of M-x apropos tabstop:

Type RET on an entry to view its full documentation.

apropos--current
   (apropos-value ("tabstop") nil)

apropos-pattern-quoted
   "tabstop"

command-history
   ((apropos-value ’("tabstop") nil) (package-install ’w3m nil))