Re: w3mmee, iso-8859-1 coding is notrecognized

TSUCHIYA Masatoshi <tsuchiya@namazu.org> writes:

>>> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:25:30 +0300 (EET DST)
>>> pgas@intracom.gr (Pierre Gaston) said as follows:
>
>>When looking at http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/ the page is encoded using
>>shift_jis (it should be iso-8859-1)
>
> I think that it is not a bug of emacs-w3m, but is a server side
> problem.  The server does not provide a proper content type header
> including the information of what coding system is used, and your
> reported page also include no tags about coding systems.

That's true the content-type is not specified in the http-header.

> You can use the command `w3m-redisplay-with-charset' to view the page
> with your selected coding system.

This work, though i must do this for all pages.

> The other solution is to add your prefered coding systems such as
> `iso-8859-1' to `w3m-coding-system-priority-list'.

It tried to set w3m-language to nil and `w3m-coding-system-priority-list'
to iso-8859-1  but the pages are still displayed using shift-js.

All the other coding system related variables are set to iso-8859-1,
except w3m-input-coding-system which is set to binary
and w3m-output-coding-system which is set to ctext.

So I have no clue as to where this shift-js comes from.

> If you find its
> good default value for German people, please send it to this mailing
> list.

Well, I'm french and for French people iso-8859-1 is a good default value :-)

Thanks for your response
Pierre