Re: Any treat-dumbquotes for eight-bit-controls?

> The main problem is in the eight-bit-controls, the code interval
> 0x80..0x9F which is used in the MS Windows codepages.  The utf-8
> console version of w3m renders them quite well, but they remain a
> problem within emacs.  gnus-article-treat-dumbquotes somehow solves

Emacs-w3m cannot treat pages written by a coding-system which Emacs
doesn't support. And Emacs21 does not support windows-1252 by default.

I created windows-1252 coding-system. How about using this?
http://www.nijino.com/ari/emacs/cp1252.el

;; Emacs cannot detect windows-1252 automatically, so you may need
;; to specify the coding-system by typing "C c windows-1252 [RET]"
;; in "*w3m*" buffer.

> Basically it works for me, with 2 exceptions: the eight-bit-controls
> I've mentioned above, and the bookmark list which I'd like to keep in
> utf-8 (as this is done from outside Emacs), but which is spoiled if I
> try to add an item from within Emacs-w3m (the new entry is added in
> some unreadable encoding).

Is the following setting helpful to you?
(setq w3m-bookmark-file-coding-system 'utf-8)

Regards,
ARISAWA AKihiro