Re: emacs-w3m doesn't work

Hi,

> When I do 'M-x w3m' and 'U www.google.de' I have the following message
> in the mini buffer:

>    Reading http://www.google.de/... (Type `C-c C-k' to stop
>    asynchrounous prosess)

> And the connection icon shows an active connection. But nothing
> happens... (I've waited 10 minutes before I stopped this process.)

Last week, I've forwarded your message posted to comp.emacs to
the emacs-w3m list.  However, there's no response so far.

> To give you some more informations I generated a bug report with C-c
> C-b.

[...]

Doesn't emacs-w3m work even for local web pages?  To check it,
type `M-x w3m-history RET' for example and you will see a
history page.  You can also check it by accessing web servers in
the intranet.

Do you need the proxy server to access foreign web sites?  If
so, there are several ways to specify it.  One is to set the
`http_proxy' environment variable which is referred to by the
w3m executable.  Note that it should be set in the shell in
which Emacs starts.  For instance:

http_proxy='http://proxy.uni-koblenz.de:8000/'; export http_proxy
emacs -f w3m 'http://www.google.de/'

The others are to use the Lisp variables w3m-command-arguments
and so forth.  You can see how to use them in the Info manual by
typing `M-x info RET d m emacs-w3m RET m Getting Started RET m
Minimal Settings RET'.  Here is an advanced example:

(setq w3m-command-arguments-alist
      '(;; Don't use the proxy server to visit local web pages.
	 "-no-proxy")
	;; Use the proxy server to visit any foreign urls.
	(""
	 "-o" "http_proxy=http://proxy.uni-koblenz.de:8000/";)))

Well, if you have a direct access to the Internet, I have
currently no more ideas.