[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Similar latin-iso8859-1 chars not displaying

>   ... Núñez displays correctly the first time then N??ez is
>   displays, which is incorrect.

    I tried it in the `English' language environment, however I
    couldn't reproduce such a problem.  What command did you use the
    second time?  I tried `G' for file:///home/yamaoka/test.html,
    and `R'.  In addition, please let me know the values of some w3m
    variables ...

Ah!  I updated the CVS and that problem vanished.  However, as a
result of the update I have discovered another problem, which is that
I cannot convert emacs-w3m-ja.texi to Info format using GNU Texinfo
4.7 because "@bL is not handled by texinfo".  I ended up removing the
references to the Japanese files in the Makefile and two Japanese

 => ""
 => "w3m/0.5.1"

Here is what I did:

# [as user `bob']
    pushd /usr/local/src/emacs-w3m

    cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.namazu.org:/storage/cvsroot update
    autoconf && \
      ./configure --with-addpath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus && make

# First, I did not remove references to -ja in either the Makefile and
#  did not remove two *-ja* files.

# (According to may notes I had to remove them on 2003 May 1, but not
# on 2003 Sep 17 but then again on 2003 Oct 3 and 2004 Apr 22)

# But then I saw error message during the make:

    Formatting Info file...
    Formatting Info file: emacs-w3m-ja.info
    Converting emacs-w3m-ja.texi to Info format...
    >> Error: (error "@bL is not handled by texinfo")
    >>  point at
    >>  @=q$G$9!#@refill
    >>  Copyright @copyright{} 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 @w{TSUCHIYA Masatoshi}
    >>  Thi
    make[1]: *** [emacs-w3m-ja.info] Error 1

# So, as user bob, I edited /usr/local/src/emacs-w3m/doc/Makefile to
# remove all references to *-ja*.  [These are what my old notes said
# to do; perhaps I needed only remove references to emacs-w3m-ja.texi;
# I did not bother to check]
# and then I also removed two *-ja* files:
#     rm /usr/local/src/emacs-w3m/doc/emacs-w3m-ja.texi
#     rm /usr/local/src/emacs-w3m/doc/txi-ja.tex

# As user bob, I again executed:

    autoconf && \
      ./configure --with-addpath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus && make

# This time the make succeeded.

# Then as user `root' I did the following:

    pushd /usr/local/src/emacs-w3m
    make install && make install-icons

This installed Emacs w3m mode.

Next, I ran    /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q
which is the CVS snapshot of GNU EMacs, Mon, 2004 Sep 13 12:01 UTC

Then I loaded w3m mode by evaluating this expression:

      (setq load-path
            (append (list "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m") load-path))
      (setq w3m-home-page "file://u/net/quick.html")
      (setq w3m-icon-directory "/usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/etc/w3m/icons/")
      (load "w3m"))

    w3m-version => "w3m/0.5.1"
    emacs-w3m-version => ""
were loaded.

Then I started w3m mode with 

    M-x w3m RET

This worked fine.

Then I used the G command to go to the test file, which looks fine
with this updates version of Emacs w3m mode.

Here are the variables in case you need them for figuring out the
build problem:

(w3m-coding-system iso-2022-7bit)
(w3m-coding-system-priority-list nil)
(w3m-current-coding-system iso-latin-1-unix)
(w3m-default-coding-system iso-8859-1)
(w3m-file-coding-system iso-2022-7bit)
(w3m-file-coding-system-for-read nil)
(w3m-file-name-coding-system euc-japan)
(w3m-input-coding-system utf-8)
(w3m-output-coding-system utf-8)
(w3m-terminal-coding-system euc-japan)

    Robert J. Chassell                         
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    http://www.rattlesnake.com                  http://www.teak.cc