bullet symbols in (un)ordered lists

I'm trying to be able to display spanish alphabet letters and to change the
display of symbols for un(ordered) html list items. So, not knowing exactly
what I was doing, I first set all coding variables to utf-8, which seemed to
do the trick to display spanish alphabet letters. However,  I still can't
find a way to customize the symbols for list items. Specifically, I like the
bullet symbol for the first level items, but I'd like to make the second
level item symbols a simple circle, the third-level ones a "+" (plus sign),
and fourth level ones a - (minus sign). Help? Thanks in advance.

--
Best wishes,
Sebastian