Once more emacs-w3m and w3mmee

Hi all,

sorry for bothering you once more with this topic apparently returning
regularly. I'd really like to get emacs-w3m working with w3mmee. The
problem I have is that emacs-w3m shows a question mark for each non
ASCII character as if emacs couldn't handle the characterset. w3mmee
run from the console though doesn't have these difficulties at all. My setup
is the following:
- Debian/Sarge with utf-8 locale (de_DE.UTF-8);
- w3mmee: w3m/0.3.2+mee-p24-19+moe-1.5.0;
- emacs: GNU Emacs 21.3.1;
- emacs-w3m: cvs branch updated this morning.

---- ~/.w3mmee/config ----
tty_charset utf-8
;mylang_charset ISO-8859-1
mylang de,en
mylang_charset ISO-8859-1
---- ~/.w3mmee/config ----

---- ~/.emacs ----
(setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
(require 'w3m-load)
(setq w3m-command "/usr/bin/w3mmee")
;(setq w3m-output-coding-system 'utf-8)
(setq w3m-coding-system-priority-list '(iso-8859-1 utf-8))
---- ~/.emacs ----

The lines indicated with a preceding ; have been activated in
different combinations to test there effect. What strikes me most is
the effect of setting w3m-output-coding-system to 'utf-8. If I do
that, two instead of one question marks appear for each non ASCII
character. Thus it seems more sensible to leave this option alone
(strange), which means that it is set to ctext.

Personally I'm not quite sure whether the w3mmee process started by
emacs is actually running in utf-8 mode, that is to say, whether
/etc/w3mmee/w3mconfig.utf-8 is parsed rather than one of the other
config files.

Have you any ideas how to track this problem down?

Thank you very much in advance,

Elias