Re: Help: using chinese-gbk

> One more thought; we might be unable to make emacs-w3m display
> GBK text in Emacs 22 after all, because it doesn't seem that the
> `utf-8' coding system (which is used when communicating with the
> external w3m command) handles GBK text as follows:

> (mapcar 'split-char
> 	(decode-coding-string
> 	 (encode-coding-string
> 	  (decode-coding-string "\326\354\351F\273\371"
> 				'chinese-gbk)
> 	  'utf-8)
> 	 'utf-8))
>  => ((mule-unicode-e000-ffff 117 61)
>      (mule-unicode-e000-ffff 117 61)
>      (mule-unicode-e000-ffff 117 61))

I noticed the Mule-UCS package enables even Emacs 22 to handle
GBK text with the `utf-8' coding system.  If you have an
interest in it, you can get the most recent and bug-fixed
version of the Mule-UCS package from:

http://www.meadowy.org/~shirai/elips/mule-ucs.tar.gz

To use it, consult the lisp/README file, install the package,
and put this line in your ~/.emacs file:

(load "un-define")

By this and the following may possibly enable you to read
Chinese web pages more comfortably.

(add-to-list 'w3m-compatible-encoding-alist '(gb2312 . chinese-gbk))

Regards,