Re: w3m freezes / 99% cpu?

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@xxxxxxx> writes:

>> Emacs-w3m offers a means that passes environment variables to
>> w3m.  To do that, add a Lisp form like the following to your
>> ~/.emacs-w3m.el file:
>>
>> (add-to-list 'w3m-command-environment '("GC_NPROCS" . "1"))
>>
>> Could you try it?  If it is effective, I'll add it to emacs-w3m
>> as one of a default value of `w3m-command-environment' for Mac.

> This solution seems to work, although adding it to the file you
> mentioned has no effect (emacs-w3m does not seem to read it on my
> machine). If I evaluate the above form manually, w3m does not hang
> anymore and things work nicely.

Hm, the possible cause is that you have the ~/.emacs-w3m.elc file
or that you've changed the value of the `w3m-init-file' variable
to something other than "~/.emacs-w3m".  Though both are unlikely.

The default value of `w3m-init-file' is "~/.emacs-w3m" and it is
loaded when loading w3m.elc.  But .emacs-w3m.elc or .emacs-w3m.el
is preferred (in this order) if it or both exist in addition to
.emacs-w3m.

cf. (info "(emacs-w3m)Minimal Settings")
    (info "(emacs-w3m)Customizable variables")

> Where else can I place this form? I tried my init file, but placing it
> right after (require 'w3m-load) causes an error (undefined variable) and
> setq'ing it has no effect -- emacs-w3m probably resets it later.

If Emacs on Mac doesn't load the .el file, though I don't believe
it, it might be worth trying changing of the file name into
"~/.emacs-w3m".  The last resort is to put the following in your
~/.emacs file:

(eval-after-load "w3m"
  '(add-to-list 'w3m-command-environment '("GC_NPROCS" . "1")))

or

(eval-after-load "w3m"
  '(load "~/.emacs-w3m.el"))

P.S. Thanks Dai Sato for following up[1] to this thread.  For
non-Japanese subscribers, he wrote that the cause of the problem
seems to be due to Boehm GC 7.0.  He also presented an example
that it is solved by downgrading the version of GC to 6.8. --[2]

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.w3m.devel/962
[2] http://blogs.dion.ne.jp/yamaga/archives/6362416.html