Re: w3m freezes / 99% cpu?

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@xxxxxxx> writes:
>> I've found that "export GC_NPROCS=1" before starting w3m on Mac OS X
>> 10.5.1 avoids the problem. It seems to be a bug with dual core CPU
>> (and possibly multi-processors too). By looking into the call stack
>> and the boehm garbage collector source, I was able to identify that
>> environment variable as being a factor in how the GC works. Solved the
>> problem for me.
>
> Emacs-w3m offers a means that passes environment variables to
> w3m.  To do that, add a Lisp form like the following to your
> ~/.emacs-w3m.el file:
>
> (add-to-list 'w3m-command-environment '("GC_NPROCS" . "1"))
>
> Could you try it?  If it is effective, I'll add it to emacs-w3m
> as one of a default value of `w3m-command-environment' for Mac.

This solution seems to work, although adding it to the file you
mentioned has no effect (emacs-w3m does not seem to read it on my
machine). If I evaluate the above form manually, w3m does not hang
anymore and things work nicely.

Where else can I place this form? I tried my init file, but placing it
right after (require 'w3m-load) causes an error (undefined variable) and
setq'ing it has no effect -- emacs-w3m probably resets it later.

--J.