Re: void-function w3-parse-buffer (problem parsing rss feed)

First of all, I'm sorry for my long absence in this list.  I was
in the hospital (for the excision of a gallstone) from the middle
of April.  But I'm fine now.  I'll work again on emacs-w3m gradually.
(But I might become busy on and after next week because of a
transfer to a different department within the company. :-<)

> Hi!

> I'd like to take advantage of Gnus' ability to store articles over
> newsticker and use it as rss newsreader.

> However, Gnus cannot import many of feeds and manual attempt to add some
> results in the message as the one below:

> nnrss: http://www.xkcd.com/rss.xml: Not valid XML (error XML:
> (Well-Formed) Couldn't parse tag: [\374\334<Rr\271)\367/) and
> w3-parse doesn't work (void-function w3-parse-buffer)
> XML-RPC is not available... not checking Syndic8.
> gnus-group-make-rss-group: No feeds found for
> http://www.xkcd.com/rss.xml

This means neither `xml-parse-region'[1] nor `w3-parse-buffer'[2]
could not parse the XML contents.  Gnus first tries to parse XML
using `xml-parse-region', but if it fails, Gnus attempts to parse
it again using `w3-parse-buffer'[3].

[1] The function defined in xml.el, which is a part of Emacs.
[2] The function that Emacs/W3 provides.  Most people have not W3
    installed nowadays, so the second trial will simply fail.
[3] See the function definition of `nnrss-fetch' which is defined
    in Gnus/nnrss.el.

> Is it the problem with w3m? (There are feeds at
> http://www.xkcd.com/rss.xml and another user confirmed that the above
> url works for him.)

No, it isn't absolutely.  The cause might be that the XML contents
were in the form that xml.el does not know.  Otherwise, the XML
contents might have happened to have been simply broken just at
that time.  Actually now I have no problem to read it by nnrss.
Anyway, it is not due to emacs-w3m at all.