Re: emacs-w3m and macosx 10.5

Hi,

> Dear emacs-w3m team;

> I like your work very much, but I have a problem with either w3m or
> emacs-w3m, not sure which as of today.  But perhaps you have knowledge
> of this problem and have already a solution.

> I have installed w3m and emacs-w3m on my macbook operating under
> macosx 10.5.4 and as you might already know, apple already installed a
> carbon version of Emacs-22.1 with Leopard, which is what I'm using.  I
> have however, separately installed the Emacs.app from apple's open-
> source tarball with a symbolic link to the original carbon
> installation as follows: ln -s /usr/bin/emacs -> /Applications/
> Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs.  I can open emacs either from
> Terminal.app or GUI version with double-click on Emacs.app icon.

> When I use w3m from Emacs under Terminal.app I have no difficulties
> that I am aware of.

I don't know MacOS at all, but I guessed emacs-w3m will not try
to display images since Emacs launched from Terminal.app is not
capable to display images.  It is why you have no problem with
Emacs under Terminal.app, isn't it?

> When I use Emacs launched from GUI Emacs.app I
> get the following error message when Emacs.app is loading w3m:
> "Image conversion failed (code `1')" but application otherwise seems
> to work, without image conversion.

Does it always happen when visiting any page containing images?
Or does it happen with a certain image format (i.e., gif, jpeg,
etc.)?

Anyway it will happen when failing in converting some image type
to another (`w3m-imagick-convert-buffer' in w3m-image.el).  The
most possible case is to convert a favicon image to a png image
that Emacs supports.  Could you test whether the convert program
supports the ico image type?  To do that, for example:

cd /tmp
wget http://www.gnus.org/favicon.ico
cat favicon.ico |convert ico:- png:- > favicon.png

And try viewing the favicon.png image using some program.  If it
fails, it might mean your convert program is too old, or does not
support the ico image type.

Cf. (info "(emacs-w3m)Other Requirements") <-Type `C-x C-e' here.
,----
|`ImageMagick'
| [...]
| To manipulate `favicon' images, we recommend version 5.4.0-5 and
| later, previous versions may work but we didn't check them
| thoroughly.
`----

Otherwise, the convert program on MacOS might return the exit
status other than the number zero even if the conversion is
successful.  To check it, try:

/bin/sh
cat favicon.ico |convert ico:- png:- > favicon.png
echo $?
exit

> I have ImageMagick installed with "convert" installed in /usr/local/
> bin;  w3m installed with prefix=/usr/local; and emacs-w3m installed
> in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp.  in my dot.emacs file I have the
> following code:

> ;;---------------------------------------------
> ;;  w3m settings

> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m")
> (add-to-list 'exec-path "/usr/local/bin")
> (require 'w3m-load)

I see no problem in your configuration.

> If you have prior knowledge of this problem or otherwise have useful
> solutions to this problem I would appreciate your generous reply.

> Thank you very much for your consideration,
> Anthony Sherbondy

Regards,