Re: Can't get www.google.com: www.google.it instead

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@xxxxxxx> writes:

>> When I point (emacs-)w3m to www.google.com, Google
>> Italia is open up instead of it: www.google.it,
>> which I don't want.
>
> Similarly in Japan, www.google.com brings me to
> www.google.co.jp. I don't know what triggers it, but
> it would probably be for user convenience.
> Try <http://www.google.com/ncr> instead.

Aha, I thought the OP wanted to search with
Emacs-w3m's functions without browsing the front page
first. Well.

On a related note, I noticed the interface of
`w3m-search', which is

    (w3m-search SEARCH-ENGINE QUERY)

is a little bulky as SEARCH-ENGINE has a default value
(in `w3m-search-default-engine') - but you can't
use that (from Elisp) - for it to work, it would have
to look like this instead:

    (w3m-search QUERY &optional SEARCH-ENGINE)

I suppose this is related to the interactive use of
`w3m-search', in what case it would still be better to
do that with a separate interface function that in
turn would invoke `w3m-search'.

Right now I have this line:

    (w3m-search w3m-search-default-engine search)

Is that indeed the way you are supposed to do it?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573