I was about to report an issue with Elpa, then realized they have changed their API and a lot of apps are not compatible.
Here is what is going on, on the Elpa interface everything is perfect. The recipe seems up to par:
| :fetcher github|
| :repo "emacsorphanage/w3m"|
| :files (:defaults "icons" (:exclude "octet.el" "mew-w3m.el" "w3m-xmas.el")))|
Here is the download link:
I am using the following init.el
When I add w3m to the list in line 18
I get the following error:
Notice how it differs from the download link on the Elpa site:
There one is removed from where it belongs and pushed to the end.
Here is a link to another app that is having a similar problem, that is how I realized it was not an Elpa problem.