Re: Dependencies: mule-ucs, apel, oauth2, flim

Hi Keith,

I don't consider myself an expert in this, so I delayed responding in
order to give someone else an opportunity. Please don't consider this
answer authoritative - I'm just trying to be helpful until someone more
competent chimes in.

On 2018-12-16 09:48, Keith David Bershatsky wrote:
> 1. The REQUIREMENTS page does not mention the need for mule-ucs and/or oauth2:

AFAIK, they're not requirements. I've been using emacs-w3m for years
without them.

> 2. un-define.el cannot load during byte-compilation because mule-ucs
>    does not play nice with Emacs 26.

I understand that un-define.el is a component of mule-ucs, and,
AFAICT[1], mule-ucs was a Japanese government project whose development
stopped years ago when a super-set of its features were integrated into
emacs itself[2]. Here[1][3] are two references that include contact
names of people expert or interested in that project. Since this is an
issue with mule, not emacs-w3m, they might be able to help, but be
prepared for them to tell you that the project is abandoned in favor of
the native emacs super-set of features.

> 3. MELPA does not automatically install the dependencies if a user
>    chooses to install the w3m package, which should probably be relabeled
>    in the package manager as emacs-w3m

The emacs-w3m project isn't (yet?) *officially* distributed by MELPA;
it's distributed from the project website, via CVS. There do exist
unofficial mirrors across the internet, and a seemingly reliable one of
them *is* a source for the MELPA package, so for this item, the proper
address would seem to be either Jonas Bernoulli, aka. tarsius, the
maintainer of https://github.com/emacsorphanage/w3m , or
https://github.com/melpa/melpa . At the latter, you could open an
'issue' to report what you think is a bug, but I should say that you
haven't convinced me that any bug exists.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule_%28emacs%29
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/International.html#International
[3] https://savannah.nongnu.org/project/memberlist.php?group=mule

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0