w3m-buffer and w3m-region

What are the intende use-cases for the functions w3m-buffer and
w3m-region?

Both are interactive functions, and seem to have been designed for
direct use by users, but when I tested them, I found them lacking, so it
could be that I just don't understand their purpose.

I thought that they would render a buffer's or region's html, which
would be useful; however they don't render links in any recognizable
way, nor bold, itallic, or underline. Further, they add trailing
new-lines.

The functions also are buffer-destructive, ie. they don't produce output
in a new buffer. I can imagine an _optional_ use-case for this current
behavior, but would think most people most of the time would want output
to a new buffer.

Attached is a simple example test html file.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0

test w3m-buffer and w3m-region

test lines

link test (to google)
bold test
itallic test
underline test

w3m-buffer test

Compare:
  1. Load this file in emacs and run M-x w3m-buffer. Note that this operation is destructive of the buffer contents, so run M-x undo to restore the edit.
  2. Run M-x w3m-goto-url-new-session [this-filename]

w3m-region test

Select the test lines as a region, and run M-x w3m-region. Note all the extra trailing new-lines.