Re: emacs-w3m and w3mmee problems

>> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:58:48 +0300
>> pgas@intracom.gr (Pierre Gaston) said as follows:

>Well, I downloaded and installed the rc5 release and the problem I
>had seems to be fixed in this release no (it works whithout applying
>your patch) the urls are encoded?

Because I think that more survey about URI encoding is required and
that my proposed patch in [emacs-w3m:05153] has ill effects against
the rest part of emacs-w3m, it is not installed in emacs-w3m-1.3.4rc5.

RFC2396 tells us follows:

   A URI scheme may define a mapping from URI characters to octets;
   whether this is done depends on the scheme.
   (snip)
   For original character sequences that contain non-ASCII characters,
   however, the situation is more difficult. Internet protocols that
   transmit octet sequences intended to represent character sequences
   are expected to provide some way of identifying the charset used, if
   there might be more than one [RFC2277].  However, there is currently
   no provision within the generic URI syntax to accomplish this
   identification. An individual URI scheme may require a single
   charset, define a default charset, or provide a way to indicate the
   charset used.

It means that we have no standard to encode URI properly.  Therefore,
it is necessary to research the way how URI is encoded in real
existing implementations, such as mod_encoding and HTTP servers which
work on Windows.

Until this problem will be fundamentally solved, please apply the
patch personally, and you can avoid it.

--
TSUCHIYA Masatoshi