Re: italics in emacs-w3m

>  If emacs-w3m doesn't parse the html, how does it identify the
> simple bold text, as it does now...

Emacs-w3m doesn't parse raw html contents, but it works on
halfdump'ed data processed by the external w3m still containing
<b>...</b> tags, and they are highlighted with the w3m-bold-face
face...

Oops, I did see.  The external w3m command doesn't support
italic text, simply deletes <i>...</i> tags in halfdump!  And I
couldn't find a code for italic text in the w3m sources.

>  Or is that done by the external w3m?
>  If so, why doesn't the external w3m recognize italics?

Well, though it is only my guess, there may be quite few
character terminals which can display italic text.  Could anyone
correct me?

>  I mean, why can't italics be done the same way as the
> simple bold is shown?
>  So if I need a feature, I have to chip in the code? ;-)
>  Thanks.

It will be welcomed if you have an idea.  In my thoughts on it,
if w3m generates complex tags like <bold-italic-underline>, it
will be helpful in order to make emacs-w3m fast. :)
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>