Re: Configuring emacs-w3m to display charset correctly

> Hi,

> I recently upgraded my desktop to SuSE 9.2 and ran into some
> problems with w3m and emacs-w3m.

> I found that even when using an iso10646-1 font for my xterm or
> Emacs, w3m wasn't displaying fonts correctly.

> SuSE 9.2 was setting my LANG environment variable to "en_US.UTF-8",
> which broke some other utilities, so I unset LANG everywhere.

> This still wasn't sufficient.  I had to the following to get w3m
> working in an xterm:

> - Start w3m using "w3m -v"

> - Enter "o" to get to the options page

> - find the Display Charset option.  It will probably be set to
>   "Unicode (UTF-8)".  Select the "Raw Text" option from the menu.
>   Scroll options to the bottom and select the [OK] button to save.

> - Verify that ~/.w3m/config contains the line "display_charset Raw".

> But even with this change, emacs-w3m still doesn't display fonts
> correctly.

Well, since that's quite hazy, we're unable to try it and look
for the solution.  How is it displayed incorrectly?  What is the
url which cannot be seen as you expected?  Or, are you unable to
see correctly all pages?  What are versions of Emacs, emacs-w3m
and w3m you are using?  An easy way to do that is to type M-x
report-emacs-w3m-bug RET.  Furthermore, don't hesitate to send
screen shots to the emacs-w3m mailing list.

> I had to also customize the w3m-output-coding-system to 'raw-text to
> get fonts to display correctly there.

I don't think it's a good idea.  w3m-output-coding-system should
be a coding system being able to handle many character sets.
Font, charset, coding system and language are independent.  I'm
not sure whether your problem is concerned with font.

> Is there some reason why emacs-w3m doesn't see the ~/.w3m/config
> file?

Emacs-w3m reads the ~/.w3m/config file in order to guess the
language you accept.  That's all.  And is sufficiant, I think.

> If it makes any difference, my X defaults contain these settings:

> Aterm*font:     -adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--*-140-*-*-m-*-iso10646-1
> Emacs.Font:     -adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--*-140-*-*-m-*-iso10646-1
> XTerm*font:     -adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--*-140-*-*-m-*-iso10646-1

There's the same font in my system.  It does not mean we can
understand and solve your problem, though.  You might possibly
be required to build latest Emacs, emacs-w3m and w3m by yourself
in order to solve it.

Regards,