Re: Bad display for character entity references

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> I'm getting mail from MS-Outlook users who HTML encode a
>> "right single quotation mark" as &#8217;
>
>> When reading the mail with gnus and emacs w3m, the character
>> is incorrectly displayed as the character "Latin small
>> letter u with grave" i.e the character represented by &#249;
>
>> I'm using w3m-0.5.1 and emacs_w3m 1.4.3.
>
>> Is this a known bug?
>
> Check your ~/.emacs file or site files which Emacs loads when
> starting up.  You might find something like the following line:
>
> (standard-display-european 1)
>
> It might be t, not 1.  This modifies the standard-display-table.
> Although I don't know how it is useful in the Latin world, it is
> generally harmful.

Yes, that was the problem.  Many thanks.

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this email message is addressed. If you have received this email message in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and destroy the original message without making a copy. Thank you.