Re: html images still not viewed in gnus

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> Can you see this image?
>
> [...]
>
> the image in this message should be viewed if your Emacs
> supports the png image format.
> Move the cursor there and type the `t' key (or the `i' key).
> Doesn't the image appear?

Rodolfo:

> Unfortunately not! When I type `t' onto '[cid]' nothing happens;
> if I type 't' in another place of the message, in the echo area
> this message appears: 'No image at point'.

Katsumi:

> That's quite strange.  I want to know whether your Emacs support
> the png image format, because anything will not indeed happen if
> it is not supported.  Does your Gnus display the following image
> in the article buffer?
>
> [...]

In the article buffer the following lines appear:

it is not supported.  Does your Gnus display the following image
in the article buffer?

[2. image/png; emacs.png]

. When I left click on the last line, a new windows opens up
where the image *is* displayed, although not properly in the article buffer.

Katsumi:

> This is the same as the one in the message [emacs-w3m:07765]
> not been composed as an html message.  You can test your Emacs
> for also other image formats by evaluating the following forms:
>
> (image-type-available-p 'gif)
> (image-type-available-p 'jpeg)
> (image-type-available-p 'tiff)
> (image-type-available-p 'xbm)
> (image-type-available-p 'xpm)
>
> (Copy those forms into the *scratch* buffer and type `C-j' at
> the end of each line.)

These are the results:

(image-type-available-p 'gif)
nil

(image-type-available-p 'jpeg)
nil

(image-type-available-p 'tiff)
nil

(image-type-available-p 'xbm)

(image-type-available-p 'xpm)

(image-type-available-p 'png)
nil

Katsumi:

> I noticed I forgot to inquire the Gnus version you are using.
> What is it?  To know it, start Gnus and type `M-x gnus-version'.

As I wrote in one of my previous messages, I have Emacs CVS 21.3.50
installed one month ago, which includes gnus 5.11.
In fact, when I do `M-x gnus-version', the echo area shows:

Gnus v5.11

Katsumi:

> I wonder why you are using `mm-inline-text-html-renderer' even
> though you seem to be using the latest Emacs.  It has been made
> obsolete three years ago, though it is still effective.  My
> recommendation is not to modify `mm-inline-text-html-renderer'
> (leave it as nil) but to use the following instead:
>
> (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)

Yes, it was my mistake. Now in my .emacs there is:

(require 'w3m-load)

, and in my .gnus.el:

(setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
(setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
(setq mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp nil)

. Thanks again for your precious help,
cheers,
Rodolfo