Re: Problem with latin charset

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:
> Does anyone hit on the cause of the problem?
> (Japanese: だれか文字化けの原因を思い付きますか?)

[...]
>> I use the following settings in emacs:
>
> I also used this, though I'm not familiar with Latin characters.
>
>> (require 'ucs-tables)
>> (unify-8859-on-encoding-mode 1)
>> (unify-8859-on-decoding-mode 1)
>
>> (set-terminal-coding-system 'latin-9)
>> (set-keyboard-coding-system 'latin-9)
>> (set-language-environment 'latin-9)
>> (setq latin1-display t)
>
>> (setq w3m-default-coding-system 'latin-9
>>       w3m-coding-system 'latin-9
>>       w3m-input-coding-system 'latin-9
>>       w3m-output-coding-system 'latin-9
>>       w3m-arrived-file-coding-system 'latin-9
>>       w3m-search-default-coding-system 'latin-9
>>       w3m-terminal-coding-system 'latin-9
>>       w3m-file-name-coding-system 'latin-9
>>       w3m-file-coding-system 'latin-9)
>
>> Notice that the problem is the same if I do not set the w3m-xx-coding
>> variables. I browse the archives of the list, but I did not find a
>> solution. Can you please help me?
>
> And let me question to Europeans.  Is it really necessary to
> modify a lot of w3m- variables for Latin-9 like this?

Not at all. I'm usually working in an utf-8 environment. For testing
reasons I just switched to latin1 (LANG=de_DE). Then I did
emacs -q
thus bypassing any user initialisation files like .emacs (I also
renamed .emacs-w3m in order to keep all the standard settings). With
this setup emacs-w3m displayed the sample file just fine.

Regards,

Elias