Re: Suggest improve tool-bar

> I just compiled a LUCID-Emacs. It displays *transparent* png properly
> and it displays *disabled* look buttons properly too. I took a
> screenshot and open a menu to show that is LUCID-Emacs.

Although you seem to still use XPM icons.  In my LUCID Emacs 22
and also 21, the backgrounds of the PNG version of emacs-w3m
icons don't look transparent.  I made those icons as follows:

xpmtoppm FOO.xpm| pnmtopng -transparent=#b6b2b6 -compression=9> FOO.png

PNG image

BTW, I verified GTK Emacs displays those backgrounds transparently.

> I think as long as (image-type-available-p 'png) returns t, it should
> be safe to use png icons.

I think it is better to use something like

(boundp 'gtk-version-string).

or other.  In other words, I think PNG icons can probably be
used for the toolbar if GTK supports PNG even if Emacs has not
been built with libpng.  Although I don't know the way to check
whether libgtk supports PNG.

> So your patch for the tool-bar can be applied to CVS emacs-w3m ;)

Now I'm urged to do it. ;)  Maybe it will take a couple of days.

> (I really don't know why Emacs can't display properly transparent png
> in buffer.)

Regards,