Re: Suggest improve tool-bar

On 2007-01-25, Katsumi Yamaoka said:

>> I just compiled a LUCID-Emacs. It displays *transparent* png properly
>> and it displays *disabled* look buttons properly too. I took a
>> screenshot and open a menu to show that is LUCID-Emacs.
>
> Although you seem to still use XPM icons.

I actually have deleted all xpm icons from Emacs's access.

> In my LUCID Emacs 22 and also 21, the backgrounds of the PNG version
> of emacs-w3m icons don't look transparent.  I made those icons as
> follows:
>
> xpmtoppm FOO.xpm| pnmtopng -transparent=#b6b2b6 -compression=9> FOO.png

If you use 'display' from 'ImageMagick' to show FOO.png, you can see
it is not transparent either. So it is not emacs's fault and I
certainly wouldn't expect Emacs to have better graphic power than
'display' ;)

> BTW, I verified GTK Emacs displays those backgrounds transparently.
>
>> I think as long as (image-type-available-p 'png) returns t, it should
>> be safe to use png icons.
>
> I think it is better to use something like
>
> (boundp 'gtk-version-string).
>
> or other.  In other words, I think PNG icons can probably be
> used for the toolbar if GTK supports PNG even if Emacs has not
> been built with libpng.  Although I don't know the way to check
> whether libgtk supports PNG.
>
>> So your patch for the tool-bar can be applied to CVS emacs-w3m ;)
>
> Now I'm urged to do it. ;)  Maybe it will take a couple of days.

I think that's quick enough already :-)