Re: unreadable focused tabbar tab on Linux 2.6.22 fbcon

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 08:59:19AM +0900, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> > A recent change to Debian GNU/Linux, possibly the upgrade from Linux
> > 2.6.21 to 2.6.22, has resulted in underlining being rendered as a cyan
> > foreground on the framebuffer console (fbcon).
>
> > As a result, the w3m tab bar, which uses underlining and a cyan
> > background by default, results in unreadable cyan-on-cyan text for the
> > focused tab.  Unfocused tabs appear as cyan on blue, which is readable
> > (if ugly).
>
> Do you think there is the foreground color that never conflicts
> with the default background colors of any application programs
> in which emacs-w3m runs?

I respect a WONTFIX decision, and as you say it's easy for me to fix
in my .emacs.  I reported the symptoms so that you're at least *aware*
of them, even if you decide not to do anything about it.

To clarify, the conflict is these attributes:

    ELISP> (face-attribute 'header-line :underline)
    ELISP> (face-attribute 'w3m-tab-selected :background)
    "cyan"

On the linux console (i.e. when not using X).  However, on further
investigation I found that

    $ screen emacs22 -nw -Q -eval '(add-to-list (quote load-path) "~/.emacs.d/lisp/w3m-el")' -eval "(require 'w3m)" -f w3m

works, but

    $ screen -T screen-256color emacs22 -nw -Q -eval '(add-to-list (quote load-path) "~/.emacs.d/lisp/w3m-el")' -eval "(require 'w3m)" -f w3m

does not, so the problem isn't caused by Linux but rather by a bad
screen-256color terminfo entry, which was in turn probably broken by
the xterm upgrade from version 226-1 to 228-1.  In other words, this
is probably not w3m-el's fault anyway.
--
Trent W. Buck