open link without switching focus

I'm trying to mess with my emacs setup so I can use w3m instead of a
separate browser when opening links from various RSS feeds in gnus.

The only thing stopping me is that I can't make new w3m buffers open in
the background, which is a pretty important part of zooming through RSS
feeds and stacking up what you want to read.

w3m-new-session-in-background sure looks like it should control exactly
this, but w3m still steals focus. Is it because I'm popping up frames?
These are all my w3m customizations:

(autoload 'w3m-browse-url "w3m" "Ask a WWW browser to show a URL." t)
(setq w3m-use-cookies t
      w3m-pop-up-frames t
      w3m-confirm-leaving-secure-page nil
      w3m-new-session-in-background t)
(setq browse-url-browser-function 'w3m-browse-url)

How can I open several links, each in a new tab, all tabs in one
separate frame, in the background?

Thanks!
Eric