Re: Manually entering queries to `w3m-goto-url'

On 2017-06-26 09:41, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
> In [emacs-w3m : No.12711]
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 13:03:28 -0400, Boruch Baum wrote:
> > Function `w3m-goto-url' isn't allowing me to enter a question mark
> > character, not manually nor by pasting from the X11 clipboard[1]. This
> > character is used for php and other queries that can be appended to
> > urls.
>
> Emacs people use `C-q' for not only emacs-w3m but also find-file
> for entering such a special character, aren't we?

I guess I'm enough of an emacs person, at least not yet, but I can
confirm now that C-q? does work.

> But when you use the mouse to paste copied text on no-X Emacs, it
> might behave like typing the keyboard one by one and Emacs treats
> `?' as a command, as the case may be

But why? Why in this particular prompt is it excluding the question
mark, when in all other prompts that I can think of the default is to
allow a quesiton mark? Even in the case of a file-name prompt, the
question mark is accepted, but interpreted as a glob character. Here,
it isn't accepted at all, even though it is a legitimate character.
Your suggestion to use the C-q prefix satisfies me personally for
manual entry, but I don't think it will be intuitive to many.

> (it doesn't do so on at least Cygwin, so I don't recall how to make
> the mouse button behave like `C-y' now).

With emacs-nox, I use an add-on package called `simple-clip'. For
gui-enabled emacs, there is an embedded package for x-selection and a
variable that can configure it. From memory, the file may be `term.el'
or `select.el' and the variable may be something like
`x-select-clipboard', but I don't have that version of emacs to be
able to check.

Thanks for the C-q tip. I had only thought of using it for things like
C-j, C-l, C-m, not for simple ascii characters.

hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0