Re: https://melpa.org/packages/w3m-20180221.2059.tar: Not found

Dear Boruch,

    > Hi Albaro, I can;t speak officially on behalf of the project, but
    > I can explain a point that may be the crux of confusion for many
    > users of emacs-w3m: The emacs-w3m project has not historically
    > ever been involved with what MELPA distributes.

    > What is happening is that an independent downstream party is using
    > git and github to un-officially mirror the project as a git
    > repository. At some point that mirror ends up as part of the
    > github account 'emacs orphanage', and at some point some
    > independent downstream party made a MELPA recipe for that
    > repository.

I think this information will be much appreciated. It certainly has
cleared up my misunderstanding.

    > The emacs-w3m project has historically distributed its code
    > directly from the project web site, using CVS. See there for the
    > officially supported install instructions.

    > Recently, there *has* been talk on this list about either
    > migrating the project to git, or running a git repository in
    > parallel to CVS. That would bring the project itself closer to
    > being able to act directly as a MELPA source, and to be able to
    > ensure quality-control on what MELPA users experience with
    > emacs-w3m.

Would not moving from CVS to git add to confusion in that there would be
two emacs-w3m git distributions, only one of which would be official. At
least with CVS, a user does not have to worry about getting the `wrong'
URL, the labels git and CVS being sufficient discriminators. Just a
thought.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter
m43cap@xxxxxxxxxx