Re: Build errors - bad fd number

On 2019-02-25 06:58, Colin Baxter wrote:
> P.S. If users are using a reasonably up-to-date Debian then they will most
> probably have to install the latest Autoconf themselves. Debian tend to
> ship 'old' packages; for example, Debian 3.16.59-1 comes with Autoconf
> 2.13. Emacs-w3m is the only source I've compiled where I have needed to
> update autoconf. I have been able to use autoconf 2.13 on Emacs-27.0.50,
> org-mode, auctex - to name but three.

Excellent point. You're right. We should be able to build on debian
out-of-the-box. Wait a minute. Are you sure? My memory is that debian
has never including autoconf by default, and that one had always needed
to install 'build-essential'. What system exactly are you using?

On my debian system, 'apt policy autoconf' shows only different
sub-versions of 2.69. Querying the debian website's package database[1]
also shows that even oldstable was using 2.69. It's only further down on
that page that I come across older versions, but they are explicitly
packaged with different and unique names, such as 'autoconf2.13'.

Let us know what you're dealing with, please.

refs:
[1] https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=autoconf&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all&sourceid=mozilla-search
--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0