Re: Build errors - bad fd number

    > On 2019-02-25 06:58, Colin Baxter wrote:
    >> P.S. If users are using a reasonably up-to-date Debian then they
    >> will most probably have to install the latest Autoconf
    >> themselves. Debian tend to ship 'old' packages; for example,
    >> Debian 3.16.59-1 comes with Autoconf 2.13. Emacs-w3m is the only
    >> source I've compiled where I have needed to update autoconf. I
    >> have been able to use autoconf 2.13 on Emacs-27.0.50, org-mode,
    >> auctex - to name but three.

    > Excellent point. You're right. We should be able to build on
    > debian out-of-the-box. Wait a minute. Are you sure? My memory is
    > that debian has never including autoconf by default, and that one
    > had always needed to install 'build-essential'. What system
    > exactly are you using?

When I installed `build-essential', the following packages were also
installed automatically: binutils build-essential, dpkg-dev, fakeroot,
g++, g++-4.7, gcc, gcc-4.7, libalgorithm-diff-perl,
libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl, libalgorithm-merge-perl, libc-dev-bin,
libc6-dev, libdpkg-perl, libfile-fcntllock-perl, libitm1,
libstdc++6-4.7-dev, linux-libc-dev, make, manpages-dev.

It looks as if autoconf had been installed at the initial installation
of the system. So it doesn't look to be a part of build-essential.

Colin Baxter
m43cap@xxxxxxxxxx