Re: <HR> displayed as \212's

   From: MIYOSHI Masanori <miyoshi@boreas.dti.ne.jp>
   Date: 26 Aug 2001 19:23:10 +0900

Hi,

   > Pavel> I have only one minor problem - <HR> and table borders are
   > Pavel> displayed like \212 and similar.
   >
   > It seems like w3m (not emacs-w3m) uses Japanese characters to
   > render lines and borders.

it does not use them in xterm. If I try my w3m to show the page in xterm or
on console, it uses a character which is like minus sign, but longer. If
I run it with -no-graph, it uses minus sign to display <HR>. If I set
w3m-command-arguments to "-no-graph", nothing happens and \212 are still
used. Should this happen?

If it helps - I have these customized variables saved which are connected
with w3m:

 '(w3m-display-inline-image t)
 '(w3m-file-name-coding-system (quote iso-8859-2))
 '(w3m-home-page "http://localhost:8080/";)
 '(w3m-input-coding-system (quote iso-8859-2))
 '(w3m-output-coding-system (quote iso-8859-2))

But even without them, the behavior is the same.q

   > Would you try building your w3m with the following configuration.
   >
   > - Which language do you prefer?
   > => 2 - English
   > or
   > - Do you want to use 2-byte character for table border, item, etc.
   > => n

My system (SuSE Linux 7.2) contains w3m and w3mj which is compiled with
Japanese support. I use w3m which does not use 2-byte characters. But
I also compiled it from source and it shows the same problem.

   > It is also a good idea for you to install Japanese fonts and set
   > up your Emacs to uses them. ;-)

Well, if I could read Japanese, I already can read everything in this group
perfectly - I have all intlfonts installed and can see all these paintings
on my display ;-)

Thank for your help.
--
Pavel Janík

This is a Linux company. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows reboot.
                  -- Dennis Olsson in private e-mail