Re: mailing list?

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote on Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:03:14 +0900:

> > Basically, my question is how do I use emacs-w3m to display CJK web
> > pages. I am using w3m 0.3, used all the default settings of
> > emacs-w3m (w3m_el-1.3). For Japanese (such as yahoo japan), it seems
> > to work. But for Chinese (gb or big5), the characters are not
> > showing up correctly in emacs.
>
> > My environment:
> > * Gnu Emacs 21.2.1 Windows 2000,
> > * w3m: compiled with cygwin version:
> >        w3m version w3m/0.3, options
> >        lang=ja,color,mouse,menu,cookie,ssl,external-uri-loader,w3mmailer,nntp,gopher,alarm,mark
> > * emacs-w3m: 1.3, out of box configuration
>
> > I'd really appreciate if you can help with these questions.
>
> Well, you might have to install the Mule-UCS Emacs Lisp package,
> which is available in:
>
>   ftp://ftp.m17n.org/pub/mule/Mule-UCS/Mule-UCS-0.84.tar.gz
>
> In addition, I recommend you apply the following patch.  It was
> contributed by Dave Love to make Mule-UCS load fast for Emacs
> 21.2 and later, with my small addition:

Sorry but I still could not get it to work. Here is what I did:

1. I downloaded Mule-UCS, applied the patch, byte compiled the code, and in my
.emacs, i put:

(setq load-path (cons "c:/emacs/site-lisp/Mule-UCS/lisp" load-path))
(require 'un-define)

2. In w3m customization, I set "W3m use Mule Ucs" to "on".

3. Firing up w3m go to http://www.yahoo.co.jp/, now all the Japanese character
   disappeared -- not showing up at ALL. (The first character on mode-line is
   "-E\%%").

4. Have w3m go to http://chinese.yahoo.com, all the Chinese characters are NOT
   showing up correctly. (The first character on mode-line now is "-B\%%".)

What went wrong? Could it be a fontset problem? What addional settings do I need
to do for MUCS and w3m?

Here are all the settings I have for w3m (copied from customize section in .emacs):
 '(w3m-async-exec t)
 '(w3m-command-arguments (quote ("-cookie" "-F" "-no-graph")))
 '(w3m-dirlist-cgi-program "c:/cygwin/usr/local/lib/w3m/dirlist.bat")
 '(w3m-fill-column 80)
 '(w3m-home-page "http://news.yahoo.com";)
 '(w3m-keep-cache-size 30000)
 '(w3m-search-default-engine "google")
 '(w3m-use-cygdrive nil)
 '(w3m-use-form t nil (w3m-form))
 '(w3m-use-mule-ucs t nil (w3m-ucs))
 '(w3m-use-toolbar nil)

All the other w3m settings are default.

(BTW, the "-F" option for w3m-command-arguments doesn't seem to work in
w3m-emacs. When running w3m sandalone in a terminal, using -F works -- rendering
frames well)

The w3m I am using is plain w3m (version 0.3), do I have to use w3m-m17n instead?

Thanks,
--Jin