Re: mailing list?

Hi,

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote on Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:03:14 +0900:

>> Well, you might have to install the Mule-UCS Emacs Lisp package,
>> which is available in:

>>   ftp://ftp.m17n.org/pub/mule/Mule-UCS/Mule-UCS-0.84.tar.gz

> Sorry but I still could not get it to work. Here is what I did:

> 1. I downloaded Mule-UCS, applied the patch, byte compiled the code,
> and in my .emacs, i put:

> (setq load-path (cons "c:/emacs/site-lisp/Mule-UCS/lisp" load-path))
> (require 'un-define)

Did you compile Mule-UCS?  I recommend you install Mule-UCS in
c:/emacs/site-lisp/mule-ucs/ (or c:/emacs/site-lisp/Mule-UCS/),
not in c:/emacs/site-lisp/Mule-UCS/lisp/ as follows:

% cd c:/temp
% tar zxf Mule-UCS-0.84.tar.gz
% cd Mule-UCS-0.84
% patch -p1 < PATCH
% emacs -q --no-site-file -batch -l mucs-comp.el
% cd lisp/big5conv
% emacs -batch -q --no-site-file -l big5-comp.el
% cd ../jisx0213
% emacs -batch -q --no-site-file -l x0213-comp.el
% cd ../..
% rm -fr c:/emacs/site-lisp/Mule-UCS
% cp -pr lisp c:/emacs/site-lisp/mule-ucs
% cd ..
% rm -fr Mule-UCS-0.84

If there is the file c:/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el ordinarily,
you have no need to add "c:/emacs/site-lisp/mule-ucs" to
load-path.  Since Emacs will include the Mule-UCS related
directories in load-path automatically, you only need to put the
line (require 'un-define) in .emacs file.  In addition,
emacs-w3m will load Mule-UCS (un-define) by itself, so there is
nothing to be done if you use Mule-UCS only for emacs-w3m.

> 2. In w3m customization, I set "W3m use Mule Ucs" to "on".

That's needless.  The value for the option w3m-use-mule-ucs will
be t by default if there is Mule-UCS installed.

> 3. Firing up w3m go to http://www.yahoo.co.jp/, now all the Japanese
> character disappeared -- not showing up at ALL. (The first character
> on mode-line is "-E\%%").

Hmm, after visiting any web pages with emacs-w3m, what is the
actual value for the option w3m-use-mule-ucs?

M-x describe-variable[ret]w3m-use-mule-ucs[ret]

If Emacs says nil, maybe you load w3m.elc before setting the
load-path for Mule-UCS.  Anyway, such issue is not worth being
worried if you've installed Mule-UCS correctly as mentioned
above.

I can see both http://cn.yahoo.com/ and http://tw.yahoo.com/
without any difficulties.

> (BTW, the "-F" option for w3m-command-arguments doesn't seem to work
> in w3m-emacs. When running w3m standalone in a terminal, using -F
> works -- rendering frames well)

Well, does anyone know about the option?

> The w3m I am using is plain w3m (version 0.3), do I have to use
> w3m-m17n instead?

I'm also using the plain w3m and I have experience of using
neither w3m-m17n nor w3mmee.
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>