Re: w3m doesn't display messages with text/html mime-type properly

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, mah@everybody.org wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> Can you take a look at the attached message?  It was generated by
>> the nnrss Gnus backend.  It's invalid HTML, I think.
>
> Valid or invalid is pretty irrelevant.  Invalid HTML shouldn't cause
> emacs to get into a loop that only C-g can get out of.

Agreed, I was providing information that may help the emacs-w3m
maintainers, not implying that the invalid HTML is the bug trigger.

> The stop-gap for nnrss is to create "Content-Type:
> multipart/alternative" messages instead of the text/html-only
> messages.

How about fixing emacs-w3m so the particular bug described here
doesn't lock Emacs?  Does that require a major rewrite?

> The long-term solution is to make w3m use widgets (like the rest of
> the buffer) instead of having a special keymap just for the body of
> the message.
>
> I doubt either one of those solutions will be put in place before
> release of Oort (because I don't have time to do either).  But I may
> try.

Those like me who can't use w3m-washed buffers would greatly
appreciate a stop-gap solution, I'm sure.

Thanks
Ted