Re: emacs-w3m underlines everything and mixesup URLs (new w3m-0.5?)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Thanks.  I've modified w3m.el in the CVS head so that it deletes
> all overlays before rendering a page.  Although I think it is no
> more than a workaround, I will ask Masatake YAMATO, who changed
> Emacs at 2004-03-26.

Unfortunately I don't speak Japanese (yet) so I couldn't really follow
the rest of thread but I thought I would post what I found. The
problem is indeed related to that change. Here is a small example to
demonstrate it:

(progn
  (pop-to-buffer "Oink")
  (insert "hello\nthis\nis\nsome\ntext")
  (overlay-put (make-overlay 7 11 nil t) 'face 'highlight)
  (sit-for 2)
  (erase-buffer)
  (insert "more\ntext"))

With previous versions of emacs the text inserted after the
(erase-buffer) did not inherit the overlay (so the text wasn't
highlighted), with current CVS emacs it does. This only happens if
the FRONT-ADVANCE flag is set in make-overlay.

The following patch (which undoes the change) restores the original
behavior:

*** insdel.c.~1.177.~	Sun Apr  4 14:49:41 2004
--- insdel.c	Mon Apr  5 20:33:37 2004
***************
*** 445,451 ****
       - disordered overlays in the slot `overlays_before' of current_buffer.  */
    if (adjusted)
      {
-       fix_start_end_in_overlays(from, to);
        fix_overlays_before (current_buffer, from, to);
      }
  }
--- 445,450 ----

--