Re: does w3m sometimes download garbage?

Hi,

>> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:52:10 +0900
>> tsuchiya@namazu.org (TSUCHIYA Masatoshi) said as follows:

>>w3m-download specifies the second argument `no-decode' as t to the
>>w3m-retrieve function so that it should not decode the contents.
>>However, the contents of that url has been encoded with `deflate'.

>>Does anyone know what is the right solution?

>Short version of my answer:
> I think that Katsumi's proposal is the right solution.  `no-decode'
> argument specifies that `w3m-retrieve' should not decode contents
> even if they decoded with gzip, bzip2, or deflate.

I made a mistake when reading Katsumi' s proposal.  I would like to
withdraw my remark in the above.

I think that `w3m-download' is a function to download specified
contents without modification, even if they are encoded.  It is
important when downloading contents compressed by either gzip or
bzip2.

Therefore, if you want to download compressed contents with expansion,
you have to use `w3m-retrieve' directly instead of using
`w3m-download'.  Here is an example which works synchronously:

  (with-temp-buffer
    (w3m-retrieve url)
    (write-region (point-min) (point-max) file))

Regards,

P.S. Could you check http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/ml/7129 ?

--
TSUCHIYA Masatoshi