http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/#requirements

Hi everyone.  I've been looking into installing w3m on the latest
XEmacs beta under gentoo and was running into considerable trouble
trying to install the apel package from emacs rather than xemacs, so I
went out onto the #xemacs IRC channel and asked how to do it. Nelson
Ferreira (njsf) told me that the XEmacs version of apel works fine now
with w4m so the above referenced location of the web page probably
needs to be corrected so other newbs like myself don't end up going
down that same more difficult path.

Thanks,

-Kevin