Re: tool bar icon size problems

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:43:04 +0900,
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@xxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

> The default value of ICONDIR is determined according to the prefix
> directory having specified when building Emacs, not the value
> specified when building emacs-w3m (in reality, that is the value of
> the Lisp variable `data-directory' which is derived from the value of
> the prefix directory specified when building Emacs; the default value
> of `w3m-icon-directory' is determined in the same way).  That
> directory is next door to the one for Gnus.  I.e.,
> "/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc/images/w3m" for emacs-w3m and
> "/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc/images/gnus" for Gnus.  Isn't it the
> best choice for the default?

I've gotten in the habit of using /usr/local for anything not handled by
my Debian distro (as in this case), and touch the sytem directories as
little as possible (nasty experiences taught me that!).  So I tend to
use /usr/local/share/emacs as a clone directory of /usr/share/emacs.
After all, everything in emacs-w3m seems to end up in
PREFIX/share/emacs, except the info pages (PREFIX/share/info).

But something else seems wrong.  I just tried installing with (to be
able to install as normal user to the local tree):

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-icondir=/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc/images/w3m
make

so:

---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
make what-where
lispdir=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m
ICONDIR=/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc/images/w3m
PACKAGEDIR=NONE
infodir=/usr/local/share/info

install:
  *.el, *.elc, ChangeLog* -> /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m/
  *.info, *.info-*        -> /usr/local/share/info/

install-icons:
  *.gif, *.png, *.xpm     -> /usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc/images/w3m/

install-info:
  *.info, *.info-*        -> /usr/local/share/info/

and then 'make install', but nothing got installed in ICONDIR.  The
previous icons were from the Debian package w3m-el (I know, what a mess,
but I removed it entirely before this).  As user I have full read/write
access to /usr/local/*, but the icons were not installed at all, and
make install didn't return any messages/warning concerning that.

Interestingly, w3m-el nor w3m-el-snapshot (Debian unstable packages)
install any *.png files, so this is weird.

--
Seb